Saturday, June 09, 2007

School of the Pilgrim

My copy of Brett's new book, School of the Pilgrim: An Alternative Path to Christian Growth, showed up yesterday. I wrote him a quick note to which he replied, "You know most of the stories in the book. Hopefully the framework BEHIND the pilgrimage makes sense."

Even in a citation in the book I've already found a comment I like very much: "Huston Smith writes that since we are embodied souls, we have to act out our faith with our bodies as well as our minds and spirits."

I still struggle with my personal definition of a pilgrimage, and I don't yet completely understand Brett's thesis of the Christian life as pilgrimage, but I do believe that Brett's core notions are good ones. To say that you are a pilgrim is to say that you are seeking God.

No comments: