Saturday, June 02, 2007

2nd Concert of the Season

Well I am late posting about it, but we did have our second concert of the season on June 2nd. We sang two pieces from our repertoire
I thought we did well on both pieces, but once again we evoked very strong comments from the audience regarding the Chesnokov.

Afterwards, Mike R (another 2nd tenor), my wife and I walked to a nearby cafe to have a celebratory cocktail and to discuss the performance. I think we are doing well on the Chesnokov because we are singing in Russian, not in spite of it. That is, since almost all of us are singing phonetically, I think we are focusing heavily on the dynamics of the individual syllables, rather than focusing on how we should sing them rather than how we normally say them. Since we know only one pronunciation, we skip all the vowel complexity and concentrating on making good sounds.

Or at least that's my working theory.

No comments: