Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Loose Change

Today I put up the Christmas tree. While I was in the attic, I cleaned up a few boxes and what not. That, in turn, led to moving around a few things, like an old dresser that we store up there. And that, gentle readers, led me to open the drawers of the dresser to see if anything was in there. And there was.... *treasure*.

A long time ago I began taking the change out of my pockets and putting it in a container. The first container was a piggy bank, of a sort, with a chain and a lock. Later, I just switched to a cup or a jar. Before Terre and I moved, I separated all of the quarters, nickels, and dimes into plastic bags. Those bags are what I found in the dresser drawer. What to do? Cash them in! I took them to a local Kroger's, which has one of those change counting devices. Fifteen minutes later... and I do mean at least 15 minutes, I had a voucher for $230. In the words of Napoleon, "Sweeeet!".

Nothing suceeds like success, so I went home, dug out my other change boxes, dumped them into another bag and went back. My total take for the day? Around $333.

Granted, I've known plenty of people who collected loose change. Heck, I met one guy who used to save over $1500 dollars a year that way. Still, I was suprised by the amount and delighted with the result.

No comments: