Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Camino planner

For those of you playing along at home, I've updated my Camino France Route Planner. I've used it to model the consequences of trying to walk a certain number of miles per day. [ Hey, different people handle stress in different ways. ]


EDITOR: currently offline.



At any rate, I wrote this little tool, which is now a primitive web app, to let me select starting locations (Leon, in our case), destinations (Santiago de Compostela), and what I facetiously refer to as 'maximum walking distances'. This toy then calculates a route, showing you the legs of the journey and attempting, if possible, to end each days' journey in less than the max. specified miles. Of course, not all towns have refugios, so my app is greedy.. it assumes you'll walk on til you hit a town with a place to stay. Which we will,, und ve vill like it.



193 miles into 13 days is 14.85 miles per day. Turns out, though, that you actually need to shoot for 15,3 miles in order to do the walk from Leon in 13 days. [Actually, I ran a set of models across a range of max distances to figure that out.
Like I said, stress, people, different. ]



Caveats apply. Not responsible for anything, don't trust my data, I have no idea what I'm doing, etc.

No comments: